Friday, December 4, 2009

How Do I Update?

QUESTION

Last year, my company purchased the MS Access version of your grouper
(v25) and we are interested in updating the version to v26. I am under
the impression that I can do that by simply purchasing a mask, but
before I do that I would like confirmation that is the case.

ANSWER

Sadly, the short answer is "no, you need more than the masks."

Because of the way that DRG versions are defined, you need both logic (encoded in software) and the code-specific attributes (encoded in masks) to assign a DRG. So, in effect, every year's version is a brand new product.

For your convenience, we provide backward compatibility for our products. This means two things:

  • If you want to support DRGs prior to the version you own, all you have to purchase is a masks file.
  • If you keep the masks files and keep buying new software, your new software can assign DRGs in any version from the current version back to any earlier version.
So you have to buy new software every year, but you can use that software to replace previous versions if you wish to.

No comments:

Post a Comment